After a hearty and (our best brekkie in Europe thus far) at Holiday Inn, we visited the Eiffel Tower.
First sign that greeted us. "Beware of pickpockets". Crime is quite rampant in Europe... Because of the harmonization of Europe, Gypsys can cross borders freely and bring along their vices to tourist spots. Morever, Europe's unemployment rate is 10%! begging and stealing have just become another way of life.
Taking the elevator up to 2nd floor of Eiffel.
It was an extremely chilly morning. Temperate was 6 degrees! detested the wind blowing... freezing cold up at the Eiffel but beautiful view of the city.
see the Seine River, major waterway flowing through Paris.
Next stop was the Arc de Triomphe monument that honours those who fought for France, particularly during the Napoleonic Wars.
I was starting to feel quite tired of walking in the cold and bitter city, so when our local guide suggested an orientation tour in the coach, i was more than happy! We saw Place de la Concorde, one of the public squares in France.
Here is the The Obelisk of Luxor. Typical tourists just snap everything pointed out by the guide and forget its meaning afterward, haha...
Ahh, i can remember this Fountain of River Commerce and Navigation. Because, in The Devil Wears Prada, Andrea Sachs throws her phone into this fountain! haha...
also drove past Saint Joan of Arc, national heroine of France who led the French army to several important victories. she was only nineteen years old!
Finally, the moment I was waiting eagerly for... LUNCH TIME! reason being, it was so cold and I had to burn a lot of energy to keep myself warm. so that explains the frequent hunger pangs!
We had home cooked vegetable soup, heart-and-stomach-warming :)
Chicken and potato for mains & some sweet tart for dessert which I didn't really fancy.
After that, our guide dropped us at a shopping district. while the rest of the tour group went on their brand-hunts, we walked around the area and spotted a cat! I was elated as this was the first cat I saw in Europe! Even the cat was snuggly wrapped in a blanket as it was so cold!
We also found the Opéra de Paris, which was the primary home of the Paris Opera from 1875 until 1989. I understand its an arts school now. A great pity we could not visit it, as tour guide raved about her charming interior.
we were hungry again, from walking in the cold, so we settled for a sub-standard meal of dim sum and fried rice. This cost us 10 euros.
shortly after, it was nightfall and our guide brought us to view Eiffel at night. our smiles were flashed with much difficulty, as sun set brought a greater temperature dip! we could not bear to step out of the coach for too long.
Glad the day was over and I could hide under my warm bed covers!
No comments:
Post a Comment